Sunday, March 13, 2011

Museum of Islamic Art

As you know, we have a guest staying at the moment. Last weekend we dropped in at the Museum of Islamic Art on the Corniche here. I've visited a few times and never fail to be suprised that, although the temperature and lighting of the artifacts is controlled, they still permit flash photography. Anywhere else in the world and I'm fairly certain this would be prohibited. I can't say that a reflection of your flash on a glass case would give you the best picture anyway - but I'm sure you understand where I'm coming from.

Also unlike other museums elsewhere, there is very little information displayed about the artifact itself. I only found out this weekend (that despite the museum being open for over 2 years now) that if you want to learn more about the items you can actually pick up a headset and have it over audio. You'd think they'd inform you of this when you walk in right? Wrong....

Here are a few of my photos from our trip there. As I didn't find out about the headsets until AFTER this trip, I can't tell you any more about the items I'm afraid...





A bowl.... I particularly like the lighting on this piece.

Necklace of spinels.


Various glass items.

No comments:

Post a Comment